Summer often gets the credit for producing the most beautiful variety in landscaping. But your yard doesn’t have to be blah and boring during the rest of the year! With a bit of consideration and planning, your landscaping will appear equally impressive during the other seasons.
When choosing plants for your landscaping project, consider how each plant changes in appearance throughout the year. Look for attributes such as:
- A long blooming season, from planting until frost
- Variegated, textured leaves or silver leaves
- Blooms that change color as the season progresses
- Foliage that changes color depending upon the season
- Bright stems or berries, particularly if berries appear during cool weather months
- Dried seed heads
When you plan your landscaping project, think about the attributes of each plant, and when those features become most noticeable in their life cycle. Have you chosen one or more plants that demonstrate attractive features in each season? Try to arrange them evenly throughout your yard, so that you won’t notice “dull spots” during certain parts of the year. As with all landscaping projects, the planning phase is very important!
As you’re shopping for plants with attractive year-round features, consider the following:
- Annuals: “Vanilla Cream” False Indigo, Jolt Pink Dianthus, Salvia “Summer White Jewel”, or SunPatiens
- Attractive foliage –Coprosma “Tequila Sunrise,” Westringia “Small Ball,” Euonymus “Gold Spot,” or Breath of Heaven Gold
- Trees with multi season interest – Prarifire Crabapple, Texas Umbrella Trees, Paul’s Scarlett Hawthorne Tree, Crape Myrtle Trees, and European White Birch Trees
If you need help choosing the right plants for your landscaping, or deciding how to arrange them, please give us a call! Take a trip over to our nursery to view our wide variety of plants in person, so you can choose specimens that best meet your requirements.